Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chapter Eleven


“It’s not catching on quick enough,” Anonymous #3 said. “I thought we’d have regular whistle blowers uploading volumes by now. This trickle of info is just a tease. We need wolves to blow the house down.”

“Patience pet.” Assange was intense but gentle. “All in good time. Rome might’ve been destroyed in a day…”

“But it wasn’t,” said Anon #5, “three hundred years ago, historians decided it would be easier for students if world history were divided into three periods: Ancient, Medival, and Modern. They figured that 476—the year of Rome's last emperor—was a good date to use in marking the end of an epoch, but the selection of 476 was arbitrary.”

“Thanks for ruining my metaphor #5.”

“Well, accountability right?" #5 smiled, “like Obama?”

“My point is, we need real media figures to help pull public opinion. Most of them have gotten lazy on their steady paychecks and press conferences, but I trust that some still have a conscience. We also need members of the military, government and big business to legitimize our efforts, and that takes time…and bollocks. You can’t expect everyone to risk losing their careers no matter how much they would love to call their bosses out.”

“But you are actually risking your life,” swooned Anon #2. “and they’ve been monitoring you for years. You don’t think that gives us cause to speed things up a bit?”

Assange smiled, “Regardless of whatever scare tactics they use, stick to the plan. They will defame me, slander me, discredit me, call me a drama queen, a pissy bitch, a bloody bastard, a control freak, a rapist, a racist, a sexist, an egomaniac, a megalomaniac, a nymphomaniac…”

“That doesn’t sound so bad,” Anon #6 chuckled. “The pussy welcome wagon will beat down your door if they hear any of that stuff. Bring it on I say!”

“You’re such a boy Tina,” said Anon #3, “oops, I mean #6. You might get lucky on some sloppy seconds.”

Assange rolled his eyes. “Focus chaps. This is not an opportunity to get laid, this is world change.”

“I’m just saying, you know…perkies,” Anon #6 replied.

“How come we don’t just take out their mainframes?” Asked #4. “You’re not letting us use some of our true genius here. That would scare the monkey shite right out of ‘em. It might even get them angry enough to start a real war.”

“#4, I accept your anarchist beliefs, but if you’re going to ally yourself with me and mine, please accept my pacifism. Like Einstein said, ‘I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war.’ I don’t want a war, I want evolution.”

“They won’t go down without a fight,” continued #4. “How about a little leeway for mischief?”

“Listen to the man.” Anon #1 was firm. “We’re all here because we believe in what he’s doing, and likewise because he inspired us to be what we are. I know it goes against many of your nature, but let’s try some trust. Strategy is about learning from history and not repeating it. We’re up against a power that understands that. We’ve got to match them and go beyond it to stand a chance. Let’s stick to the plan.”

“I’m always open to good ideas,” winked Assange, “but so far, albeit slowly, the sleeper is awakening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment